Belarusian State Agrarian Technical University (the original name is Belarusian Institute of Mechanization and Electrification of Agriculture) was founded in October, 1954. It started training specialists on ''Mechanization of Agriculture'' and ''Electrification of Agriculture''. 200 students (150 people to study Mechanization of Agriculture and 50 people to study Electrification of Farm Production Processes) were admitted in 1954.
During the following period the Institute was developing and growing and in 1992 it became Belarusian Agrarian Technical University (The decree № 158 of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus signed on 25.03.1992).
Since 2000, the University has been officially named as Educational Institution "Belarusian State Agrarian Technical University"(BSATU) by the approval of Minsk Executive Committee.
For success in training of specialists for the republic's agriculture the University has been awarded the Diploma of Honour of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet, the Diploma of Honour of the National Assembly of the Republic of Belarus, the Diploma of Honour of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus.
In 2010 the University was the first among agricultural higher educational establishments of Belarus to receive a Certificate of Conformity of the Quality Management System BSATU that meets the requirements of ISO 9001-2009.
In 2013 the University was awarded the Prize of the Government of the Republic of Belarus for achievements in the field of quality in 2012.